Sunday, June 17, 2012

Parents

Today is Father's Day... the day I make a cutesy little card for my husband, and all the kids make little cards for their daddy, and a few of them go and buy little trinkets for him. But, it's also the day I try to not feel sorry for myself. I don't have a dad to buy something for. Most days, I'm ok with this. But, watching people post all these "share if you have the best dad ever" things on facebook - it sends me on a small pity trip.

Add to the day the fact that my biological mother just called me the night before... and I had to be brutally honest with her... and it just makes for a crappy day for me when it comes to parents. I really didn't have luck with parents when I was younger. As I got older, I learned from complete strangers how a parent should act.

My parents include a woman who took me under her wing when I was 18 years old, and my inlaws. These three people (2 moms, 1 dad) are the ones who stayed up with me when I was hurting, gave me advice when I was lost, listened when I needed to talk, laughed with me when I needed to smile. They gave me everything without asking for anything in return. They never made excuses, never abandoned me, and never made me feel like I wasn't worth their time. They taught me the kind of parent I want to be to my children.

That said, Happy Fathers Day to all those men out there who are "good" parents - the ones who put their children first and love them as they deserve to be loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment