Sunday, March 17, 2013

Traditions

Tonight as I was making some sausage/egg/cheese muffins for the kids for dinner, I was suddenly hit with a touch of nostalgia. Many know that growing up wasn't always that pleasant for me or my siblings. But, we did have a few traditions which still make me smile.

Every Sunday noon'ish, generally after returning home from church, we'd make some form of breakfast for lunch. This would be either pancakes, waffles, french toast, and/or toast; eggs; bacon and/or sausage links or sausage patties; and orange juice. My dad and all of us kids would gather in the kitchen, everyone with a responsibility, as we whipped up this yummy meal. I loved this.

Our other tradition was Friday night family night - dancing or games until Dr. Who came on. This was a wonderful time too usually.

Traditions are important. For my family - friday night is pizza night. On some occasions, we make homemade pizzas - a thoroughly enjoyable time as we make sure we have pepperoni, sausage, canadian bacon, hamburger, mushrooms, onions, peppers, a couple different cheeses, jalapenos, and an assortment of other toppings available. But, no matter if its a cheap frozen pizza, or a homemade pizza, Friday night is the time for our family to get together and enjoy at least a little time with each other.

When the weather is decent - Saturday afternoon is Now & Then time for my daughters and I. Now & Then is the local thrift store.. and we love going there, usually to purchase a few romance novels. Sunday morning used to be my coffee hour with one of my daughters. We do still usually have this time - but where it used to be at the cafe, it is now at the church. And in the summer/fall - evening walks is quite commonplace for us. Oh, and of course walks in the middle of blizzards - this is a must!

And one tradition we started just a few years ago - New Year's Eve... the kids and I go outside right after midnight to laugh and play and make snow angels.

Yes, I do love the traditions I had growing up, and those I've started with my own family.

No comments:

Post a Comment