Sunday, March 18, 2012

religion vs church

Anyone who believes I am not religious - or that I don't believe in God - doesn't know me very well. I believe wholeheartedly in a higher power - in God. I believe in the general theory of the Bible. I believe God created everything and has a plan for us all.

What I do not believe in is the physical church. Or, the full extent of the Bible... but that is a topic for another post.

Church, though?

Let me tell you this... If you go to church every Sunday, meet with church people every now and then throughout the week, and take part of every prayer chain - this does not make you a Christian. A Christian is NOT someone who goes to church once a week, and spends the other 6 days talking about people behind their back. A Christian is NOT someone who physically assaults a child, and then lies to the pastor about it. A Christian is NOT someone who acts childish and immature and sputters hatred towards a child and/or anyone else, because he/she "tarnished" your reputation.

I don't go to church. I don't go to church functions. I don't take part in public prayer chains.

I do pray daily - but privately - for those who are sick or in pain. And most important, I do help those who need it, and I teach my children to help those who need it - not just with a prayer, but with action. Help a neighbor shovel his walk, or clean the snow off his roof. Help a friend when she's depressed. Offer to hold a door for someone with her hands full of children; or help unload a cartload of groceries into a trunk for an elderly person. Be there for people. I don't do this for recognition. I don't do this to be a good Christian. I do this because it feels right to me.

And I will not change just because others seem to think that my way is wrong, and that I should be in church - in a biased, gossiping hell-hole - every Sunday. Deal with it.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite sayings: "Going to church doesn't make you a christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car."

    ReplyDelete