Saturday, April 21, 2012

I am not in need of saving

Something is bothering me.... which, actually, really isn't unusual. It seems something is always bothering me in one regard or another. But tonight...

Why is it that when you express your religious views, the bible-thumpers of the world feel the need to give you a lesson in Christianity? They always seem to find it necessary to treat you like a simpleton, uneducated in the words of the bible and the church, and obviously an unbeliever.

I believe in God. I simply do not put much stock in the church, or in the Bible even as it is missing too many books to be considered a true and accurate account.

This does not mean I need a lesson in Christ. I do not need Bible versus spouted at me. I have had more years of education in the church and Christianity then most of these people probably have had. Just because I am willing to question these teachings does not make me evil or uneducated. It actually makes me much more intelligent than those who blindly follow anything and everything they are taught.

So where does my hatred for the church come from? Well first, it is not a hatred. However, it is my experience with churches that they have twisted thinking (twisted from my thinking anyway). With the church:
  • We must pay an offering each week... and should we not because we can't afford it, we are looked down on. We are judged by our fellow church members.
  • We must focus on things which do not concern the church as a whole (and yes, I realize this one will probably stir up anger amongst the bible-thumping variety). These focal points include abortion, gay marriage, and other such concerns. If we do not believe the way the church believes, or refuse to openly pass judgment on people whom have had an abortion or are gay, we are then judged accordingly by our fellow church members. 
  • We must blindly recite bible verses and creeds and prayers. We must blindly accept the Bible as accurate and complete, and accept God in the same fashion as is described in the Bible, and accept the church and religion as a whole in the same way. Should we not, we are judged. Should we dare question any of these items, we are judged. 
In addition to these points which have continued to be a fact in my life with the church, I have also had poor experiences when it came to turning to the church for help. For example, as an abused child, I turned to my pastor for guidance (actually, turned to two pastors). I was quoted the 4th commandment. Sorry, not helpful. And as a result of this inaction, I have two dead brothers. So yes, there is some bitterness I suppose.

As for the Bible - there are approximately 500 books and other writings that never made it into the Bible. The Roman Catholic Church is who determined which books should be in the Bible (and we all know how pure that group is), and they left out anything which went against their plans for religion. The 6th and 7th Books of Moses? Refused because they are in the realm of magic and the occult. The Book of Adam and Eve? Who knows why that wasn't allowed - it gives a good tale of life after they were expelled from the garden. The Gospel of Judas? Well, this one was only just found again a few years ago, but tells an interesting story of how Judas didn't betray Jesus - he was Jesus' best friend and was asked by Jesus to betray him so that he could die for us. The Infancy Gospel of Thomas describes Jesus' life as a boy, including stories of him killing a child, making villagers blind, and other such acts. Or what of the other dozen or better gospels which were withheld from the Bible? How can anyone say the Bible is the true and accurate account of God and Jesus when so much has been withheld from it - withheld by a corrupt, self-interested party?

But anyway, I shall get off my soapbox for now. All I request is that you please don't treat me like someone in need of saving. God and I have a very good relationship... or, at least, one which I will continue to work on... and your help is not required. 


No comments:

Post a Comment